My New Book, "Understanding Spiritual Gifts: A Comprehensive Guide", is now Available!
Finally, my new book on spiritual gifts is now available. Perhaps the best place to get it is on Amazon. Some of you may wonder how this book differs from my earlier volume, The Beginner’s Guide to Spiritual Gifts. The latter volume, originally released in 2002 (174 pages) and then again in a slightly revised version in 2012 (219 pages), was truly only a “beginner’s” guide. This new volume is a massively expanded treatment not simply of the nine gifts in 1 Corinthians 12 but a comprehensive discussion of all twenty-one gifts. It comes in at 364 pages. In addition, numerous issues relating to the power of the Holy Spirit and charismatic renewal are addressed at length.
Here is the Table of Contents to give you an idea of what I address in the book.
Part 1: The Nature, Purpose, and Prayerful Pursuit of Spiritual Gifts
1. Supernatural Power for Life and Ministry
2. Spiritual Gifts: What Are They and Why Does God Give Them?
3. How Many Spiritual Gifts Are There, and How Many Might a Christian Receive?
4. Our Responsibility to Desire and Pray for Spiritual Gifts
Part 2: The Debate Over the Cessation or Continuation of Miraculous Gifts of the Spirit
5. Biblical and Theological Arguments in Support of Cessationism
Excursus: A Response to Jonathan Edwards on the Cessation of the Charismata
6. Biblical and Theological Arguments in Support of Continuationism
7. The Evidence from Church History
Part 3: Revelatory Gifts of the Spirit
8. Word of Wisdom and Word of Knowledge
9. The Nature and Purpose of the Spiritual Gift of Prophecy
10. Is the New Testament Spiritual Gift of Prophecy Different from Old Testament Prophecy?
11. Judging Prophetic Utterances, and the Spiritual Gift of Discerning of Spirits
Part 4: Speaking in Tongues
12. Deciphering the Gift of Speaking in Tongues
13. Does God Want All Christians to Speak in Tongues?
And What about the Gift of Interpretation?
Part 5: Faith, Healing, and Miracles
14. The Spiritual Gift of Faith and its Relationship to Healing
15. Miracles and the Spiritual Gift of Miracles
Part 6: Other Gifts and Apostleship
16. What about the Spiritual Gifts in Romans 12:6-8 and Ephesians 4:11?
17. Is Apostleship a Spiritual Gift or Office, or Both?
18. The Qualifications for Apostleship or: Are There Apostles in the Church Today?
Appendix A: Does God give Spiritual Gifts to Non-Christians?
Appendix B: What is the Future of Charismatic Renewal? Assessing its Strengths and Weaknesses
In the next few days I’ll provide some of the endorsements that were graciously written for the book.